Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 7, 2020

Favorite Auther - Barbara Pym

This year I have been re-reading all of my Barbara Pym books, I love her writing and very much enjoy all that she has written. I own a copy of almost all of her books, and I have three used books on order to complete my collection, Crampton Hodnet, The Sweet Dove Died, and Civil To Strangers which is a collection of short stories. I think I only have one more book to purchase, Some Tame Gazelle, and then I own all she has written. I also own A Very Private Life, an autobiography in diaries and letters by Barbara Pym, and The Barbara Pym cookbook. The cookbook contains recipes of dishes cooked by various characters in her books. 
Barbara Pym has been described as the Jane Austen of the 20th century, and this is very apt, as her novels are all witty, amusing, a sort of comedy of manners. Characters from older novels pop up as a mention here or there in newer novels, someone may notice their obituary, or they are a friend of a friend, that kind of thing. It brings a realism to the world created by Barbara Pym. Pick up a copy and see if you enjoy her writing. I can't really recommend one story over another, as I enjoy them all. My first Barbara Pym was Excellent Women and I so enjoyed it I was spurred on to read everything she ever wrote, and I have returned to the books time and time again over the years and have never been disappointed.




7 comments:

affectioknit said...

Oh my goodness...she is SO my FAVE too...I've read everything our library has...
~Have a lovely day!

Bean said...

Barbara Pym just really creates a totally believable world and believable characters, so enjoyable to read.

greta said...

this is so funny because, while our library was closed down completely, i reread every barbara pym book in my possession. a friend had recommended her to me years and years ago. since then i have slowly purchased all her books because the local libraries seem to be selling off their copies and i simply can NOT be without her! crampton hodnet is one of my favourites because it makes me light but excellent women is truly one of the best. miss lathbury is a woman after my own heart.

greta said...

that was supposed to be 'laugh' not 'light'! don't know how that happened.

Bean said...

Hi Greta,

I really like Crampton Hodnet, it is really a very funny book. I really like Some Tame Gazelle, all the fussing over the curates, always feeding them chicken, LOL.

Bean

greta said...

yes, the 'curate' books are always fun. they make me laugh every time and i've read them all more than once (or even more than that!)

Erica Rogers said...

Hi great reading your blog