Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

A Wonderful FB Group


I was out walking with grandchildren last week and one of them noticed a butterfly, we all crowded around to look and I took a few pictures. I had no idea of the name of this type of butterfly so when we got home I posted the pictures on Facebook to see if anyone did know. A good friend suggested I post it in the FB group IN Nature and sent me a link to join. I joined the group and posted my picture and literally within thirty seconds I had the answer, it is a Red Admiral butterfly. 
Red Admiral Butterfly
Yesterday while out hiking with many grandsons, we kept seeing beautiful emerald green insects on the trail who would fly away as we got close. I had know idea what type of insect it could be, the next time we saw one on the trail we all stopped and stood quietly and I started snapping pictures as I crept closer and closer until eventually it flew off. When we got home I posted the picture to IN Nature, and again in less than a minute I had an answer (several in fact) and all agreed it was a six spotted tiger beetle.
I am LOVING this FB group, each day I have learned something new and it is so nice to know that there are many, many other Hoosiers who are out and about exploring our natural environment and are curious about the things they see. And I am really thankful that there are so many knowledgeable people who can answer questions and provide identification as the requests are posted. 
Six Spotted Tiger Beetle
And last of all, on Saturday afternoon I walked to nearby Leo, IN, each time I cross over a bridge over a small tributary to the St. Joe river. The last three times I have crossed the bridge I have stopped to look in the water and have seen a Muskrat swimming around. This past Saturday he was very busy and I was able to take a few pictures of him swimming before he disappeared underwater. 
Mr. Muskrat
These are but a few of the many pleasures of walking, not only does it clear and soothe the mind, it strengthens and tones the body, and because you are walking you notice so many things in nature that you will never see from a car window. Walking reconnects you mind, body and soul back to the earth and all that is wonderful.





No comments: