Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Book Review of Women at the Cross








Women at the Cross

WOW! Where to begin, this book is SO good.
Each chapter starts with a brief look at a strong woman from the bible, Mary, Elizabeth, Dorcas, Mary and Martha, just to name a few. We are told a little about each woman and how they lived their lives faithfully following God and what we can learn from each of them.
Next there follows several pages of how we can strive to live a Godly life, we are given challenges and suggestions. Along the way there are many scripture quotes that are encouraging and at times challenging.
Then the third part of each chapter has a story about a real modern day woman who lives a Godly life. The women in these stories are regular, salt of earth, good Godly women, they are wives, mothers (often of many children), some are single, some missionaries, some old, some young, but all have one thing in common, they strive to grow ever closer to God and to teach their children and others around them about God. The book is so gently encouraging, it is never bossy, never self-righteous, it is obvious that the author has walked with the Lord for many years, I would LOVE to meet her in person and give her a big hug and tell her just how life changing this book has been for me.

Do you want to read your bible each day without a sense of obligation, but because you truly want to be in the word of God? Well this book will get you there.
Do you want to be kinder, gentler, a listener, a good witness for the Lord? This book will show you how.
Do you want to be a Godly wife, a blessing to your husband? This book will show you how.
Do you want to be a good mother, a good grandmother? This book will show you how.
Do you simply want to walk closer with God? This book will show you how.
Do you want to have guidance for a better prayer life? This book will give it.

For many of us all ready striving for all of the above you will find that this book gives gentle encouragement to stay on the path of righteousness.

I have found that each chapter works well split into two parts, so I can savor each over two days. When I am done with this book I will simply start it over, because each chapter has gentle lessons that can be absorbed over and over again.

This is one of the BEST books I have ever read.

(I also posted this review on Amazon)


Women at the Cross by Mary Ellen Beachy

http://www.milestonebooks.com/item/14-171/ Book may be available here for $10.99, but for now they are out of stock.
The price on Amazon seems high, I purchased mine at a Christian Light Publications home school sale, I paid  around $10. However I cannot find the book on www.clp.org


1 comment:

Maggie Ann said...

Hi Bean, Thanks for visiting my blog! That is a great recommendation you gave 'Women at the Cross'. I'll try my library or Ollie's. I saw you like 'Miss Read' books...me too. I have an ever growing library of good reads. Have you ever seen so many Christian authors as there are now a days? Years ago...it was only Grace L. Hill (love her too) for me and the Elsie Dinsmore series. I'd like to reread them whenever I slow down with my knitting and spinning and reading other things! Its good to meet you, =) Maggie Ann