Total Pageviews

Monday, January 24, 2022

The Joys Of Paper Piecing

 In December we were assigned a block of the month quilt block put together using a method called Paper Piecing. Wow what a learning curve! My 9th attempt came out correctly and I followed it up with a correct 10th block. This project was so much fun and slowly but surely I figured out what I needed to change and each attempt got closer and closer to being correct, and finally I did it. I was really, really satisfied to have mastered (I say that lightly) how to piece the block to end up with the correct size.

This is one of the reasons I like the Quilt Guild, you are never too young to learn new tricks. It is always very tempting to go for the easy option block pattern, but much more satisfying to complete a challenging block pattern. 

I am now getting ready to start on the January block of the month and hopefully it should be fairly straight forward and not take ten attempts to get right! 

Squaring up the paper pieced blocks


Success at last, all points meet and there is adequate seam allowance to attach a border or another block. I ran out of the rainbow fabric, but I think I picked it up at Walmart so hopefully can find a fat quarter to make the last two corners of the 12 inch block. I plan to make this into a cover for a throw pillow and will give it to our granddaughter Alivia.


Four block of the month blocks finished, I will begin work on January's block very soon.


This block I ran up just for fun, I always liked this block pattern and decided to try it out, it was challenging but I turned out well for a first attempt. I am going to make this into a cover for a throw pillow for our granddaughter Aubrey.





Today our grandson Masen was over as he is on quarantine from school at the moment. It snowed most of the day so we made cookies.













No comments: