Total Pageviews

Friday, January 21, 2022

I Am Loving Quilt Guild

 This past fall when school resumed I suddenly ended up with a couple of free days each week. Initially I took care of some projects around the house but then realized I needed an activity or two to keep me busy. My mom belongs to a Quilt Guild and really enjoys it and I wondered if there was a guild near me. I googled and voila there are two! I contacted the one closest to me and almost immediately received a reply inviting me to the next meeting. So on a very foggy morning in October I headed off to my very first meeting with The Spinning Spools. I enjoyed the meeting, paid my dues, submitted my information and picture for the directory, it turns out that October is the month all of this takes place, and I am a full fledged member.

The meeting starts at ten but there is a forty-five minute gathering time beforehand that is enjoyable and gives everyone time to chit chat and get to know one another. At ten the meeting is called to order, items are discussed, approved (almost always), and the meeting is closed by eleven. Next up is a demonstration, put on by a member, of a specific quilting technique, or tips and tricks for new quilters, or how to use various quilting aides, all good stuff. Then we are given the block of the month pattern, this is great, I tend to avoid certain block types because they are difficult, now I have a challenge and an opportunity to learn better technique. The blocks made the prior month are put on display, it is interesting to see as everyone uses colors of their choice and the results are very pretty. The last part of the gathering is Show and Tell, and I the items shown are quite inspiring, there are some very talented quilters in the guild.

In December we had our Christmas party after the meeting, it was fun with a catered box lunch, a fun gift exchange and good company, I had a wonderful time. I am so thankful I found this group, they are so friendly, so welcoming and so nice.


"Our Choice" block of the month

I love seeing the color choices for the block of the month

It was a small turnout this month and the block is paper pieced and challenging to make. Only four brave souls had a finished block to display. I did not get mine made in time for our meeting, but I am working on it now.


1 comment:

affectioknit said...

WOW Bean,
...those squares are so pretty!
~Have a lovely day!