Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 26, 2020

A week ago I made a list of things I had to get done on our property.

1. Clean all of the mulberry trees that keep growing in our large pine trees at the end of the driveway. 
2. Drastically prune back the monstrous forsythia bush by the garage, and do the same to a few other bushes around the property.
3. Weed whip around the barn.
5. Clean up around the tractor and old pick up truck.
6. Cut back to the root the old grape vines, and asparagus, and clean up the blueberry bushes.
7. Clean up under the deck.
8. Push mow as needed.
9. Clean up the vegetable gardens.
10. Clean up around the fire pit and compost heap.

Well I am really pleased to say that I have completed most of list. I still need to cut out the mulberry trees growing up inside the large pine trees. And I still need to clean up the gardens but really need a good rain to soften up the soil so the weeds pull out easily.
It is a satisfying feeling to get so much accomplished, and I had help along the way from my husband and even a little help from a few grandsons. Unfortunately I came in contact with poison ivy, and I don't know where exactly, but I have an itchy rash on my legs, feet, hands, arms, neck and chin. So annoying! But even though the itching at times drives me to distraction it is very pleasing to sit on the deck, or under a tree and simply enjoy the view rather than seeing lots of things that need to be done. And, I had a wonderful time burning all the yard waste, it is a very satisfying part of the work. The fire has a purpose, and seems so appropriate for this time of year. It never ceases to amaze me how a gigantic heap of branches and yard waste can be burned down to a small pile of ashes in a few hours. 

Dave and our son Matt went to get a load of wood on Saturday morning. I think they thought they were just picking it up, but arrived at Dave's sisters house to meet up with her husband and then spent the morning with chain saws cutting up limbs. Around lunch time they arrived back at the house with a pickup truck load of wood which they unloaded. I stacked up the logs, it was another very satisfying job, and it made my heart happy to know we have a bit of fire wood as it is always nice to have a camp fire at this time of year. Dave and I will be heading back to his sister's house in the next week or so to pick up more wood.




















 

No comments: