Total Pageviews

Monday, February 14, 2022

Happy Valentine's Day


Last week I was talking to Mom on the phone when she mentioned that Dad was sending me a gift for Valentines Day. I could not imagine what he would be sending, he is an excellent photographer and the only thing I could think of was perhaps he was sending a picture. Imagine my surprise when a large package arrived at the house and inside was everything necessary to make a mini herb garden. 



The directions said to soak some of the seeds in tepid water for a day. I started my seed soak in the evening and left them over night.


The other seeds did not need to be pre-soaked.


At first glance you might think this is a rather murky cup of coffee, it is in fact the potting soil. The herb garden kit came with four hockey puck sized discs of potting soil that needed to be rehydrated. I let the soil discs soak over night in a pitcher of water


The next morning it was potting time. I found that I had to add additional potting soil to the soil provided in the kit. Because I have a mild house plant addiction I always have a large bag of potting soil on the go, so I added a scoop to each pot before adding the soil that came with the kit.





Because it is a winter and seeds like a bit of warmth to germinate I decided to create a greenhouse effect and wrapped the tray of seed pots in Saran wrap. I placed the tray over a heating vent for the first couple of days. 

So now I wait, and hopefully in ten or so days seedlings start to emerge and I will enjoy watching the plants grow. This is a really nice project for the final weeks of winter and it has me excited about starting a garden this spring. Thank you Dad.

Happy Valentine's Day










 

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Hi Bean,
...I think that's a AWESOME gift for you!
~Have a lovely day!