Total Pageviews

Monday, March 14, 2016

Weight Loss - Before and After Pictures


The top picture, taken in August of 2014, is the picture that made me realize that I really, really, really had to do something about my weight, and it was shortly after it was taken that I started to get serious about taking care of my health. At my heaviest I weighed 240 pounds, and always felt that I only needed to lose twenty-five or so pounds to feel good. Well I lost twenty-five or so pounds and realized I still needed to lose to get to a healthy weight, then I was down fifty pounds and still was thirty pounds over the top ideal weight for my height. Then I lost seventy-five pounds, I was feeling much better, and had become very active, but still had weight to lose. By October of 2015, fourteen months after starting my journey to better health, I had lost 110 pounds, and have maintained that weight loss for the past five months. Maintenance is the longest part of the journey as it is a journey that has no end, it is a way of life! A good way of life, and one that keeps me disciplined in my eating and exercising habits.

There are no magic pills, secret tricks, special foods, fad diets, the way to lose weight is to not over eat, so track your calories every day, and add exercise to strengthen and tone your body. That is it, limit calories, add some exercise, and you will lose weight at a healthy pace, 1 - 2 lbs per week, and you will keep it off.  My Fitness Pal is a wonderful phone app to assist in tracking calories and exercise.

So here are my before and after pictures:


Taken in August of 2014 - heaviest weight 240 lbs, sedentary lifestyle

Taken in March of 2016 - ending weight - 130 lbs, active lifestyle

10 comments:

Pete said...

A remarkable achievement! You look fabulous.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

You look wonderful dear friend. Jack and I are really watching our carbs and losing weight.

Anonymous said...

Well done! I know how hard it is to lose weight- it requires a focussed mind, doesn't it? I've just started on my weight loss journey. Total lost since Christmas 2015 = 2 stone (28 lbs). I still have another 3 stone (42 lbs) to go. I'm following a healthy, low carb plan that's popular in the UK called Slimming World. Your photos have encouraged me to keep on going.
Kay

odiie said...

You've given me inspiration! I have 25-30 pounds to lose and I just can't seem to stay motivated. I'll eat healthy and lose some then 2 months later revert back to snacking all day.
Any tips??You look great.
Odiie

Bean said...

Hi Odiie,

I would say set a daily calorie budget and strive to stay within it each and every day. You can still have a snack, just make sure you only eat a serving of the snack, for example potato chips, weigh out 1 oz and that is what you eat. Keep in mind, sometimes when you crave a salty snack you may actually be thirsty and might want to drink a glass of water instead.

I eat snacks slowly, savor each bite, and make sure that I am mindful while eating and take time to really enjoy the taste and texture of what I am eating. I make an effort to eat all of my meals slowly and to make sure that I really enjoy each bite to the fullest.

Mainly though set a daily calorie limit and stick to it and you will maintain weight, or lose weight depending upon the calorie amount you pick. Apps like My Fitness Pal are wonderful for tracking calories.

I also take time to look at the number of calories in a snack and find that some just are NOT worth the amount of calories, for example a Little Debbie snack cake is around 240 calories, that is crazy, and to me simply not worth it, there are many other things I find enjoyable to snack on that are way less calories and have some nutritional benefit. A half cup of unsweetened applesauce is satisfying and only 50 calories, a Kelloggs high fiber brownie is tasty (satisfies a chocolate craving) and is only 90 calories and gives you 6 or 7 grams of fiber. I enjoy a NUGO protein bar, the dark chocolate/raspberry one is my favorite, only 180 calories, but a nice hit of protein, fiber and flavor, and with a glass of water or cup of coffee will keep you feeling full for a while.

Be mindful about what you eat and you will find it much easier to avoid temptation.

Good luck to you,

Bean

Bean said...

Hi Kay,

Good on you, that is awesome. And look at your weight loss as a journey to better health, a lifestyle change, and something that you plan to maintain for the rest of your life. Losing weight and getting fit is really one of the best things you can do for yourself, it is like the fountain of youth :)

Bean

Rebecca said...

After seeing your comment on my blog, I hurried over. I'm sure I wouldn't know you if I saw you.

I'm just wrapping up a retreat at the Abbey of Gethsemani. It's been a wonderful week - weather near perfect, scenery gorgeous, the silence and solitude so refreshing. My husband is here, too! It's his first time - but we are thinking of returning in October if we can get in.

I've read and read and read, walked and walked and walked. :)

So incredible to read & see your success in reaching and maintaining such a healthy lifestyle. I've struggled since breaking my hip and having a replacement followed by a knee replacement. I'm back on track now with about 20 pounds to lose.

Linda said...

Lovely! You look radiant! :)

Weight Loss Pharmacy said...

Nice Work - Keep Going in this way - safe sure and fully power to Your results. I think you made some good points. this is very useful information. I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.

Xương Rồng said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.