Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Merry Christmas

Well the big day is almost upon us. The busyness of the season is now behind us, shopping is done, decorations hung, the tree selected and decorated, gifts wrapped, groceries purchased. And ahead of us the anticipation of tomorrow, the sheer pleasure of watching the little ones enjoy the magic of this wonderful time of year.
Our older two grandsons, 6 and 4, are really into Christmas this year, they have been counting down the days, they wonder if they will hear Santa land on the roof this evening, they dream of what gifts they may be getting, they are giddy with excitement, and it is so FUN to watch.
Little Charlie is two and is constantly singing Jingle Bells, the four older grandchildren are obsessed with the Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer movie, we have watched it several times. Another favorite is the Little Drummer Boy.
The fun with the advent candles, the earnest discussion at supper time over who is going to blow out the candles. The fun with advent calendars and opening a little window each day, although a few of the grandchildren got a little carried away with opening the windows and got way ahead of themselves, oh the anticipation.
Memories being made at every turn, As I watch my grandchildren enjoying this time of year I feel the magic rekindled in me from my own childhood. The excitement of my grandmother coming to stay, we called her Nanny, and aunts and uncles visiting, family walks after indulging in a scrumptious turkey dinner, working puzzles together on Boxing day, mince pies for breakfast, stuffing and turkey sandwiches for a few days after Christmas. I don't really remember many gifts, a few, some fantastical paisley pajamas from Nanny, a knitted jumper made by my mother, a curling iron, but what I do remember is the coziness, the love, the wonder, the joy of Christmas, all brought about by the adults in our life that loved us. So it is with joy that as a grandparent myself I can help create this wonder, and I see my children creating it for their children, and one day my grandchildren will be the adults and they will pass along the joy and wonder of this season too to the next generation.
So to all I wish you a Merry Christmas, wonderful memories, and the ability to feel the joy and magic of the season as you did as a child.

No comments: